This year we started two new jars in the house.
The first one is called the "Happy Moments Jar". In this jar we just write out a moment or something we want to remember and on New Years we are going to read them. Great idea in theory but to get the MAN of the house to participate is like pulling teach. The kids often will say when something happens "Oh dad there is a happy moment! Put it in the jar." Where then he says, "You can't tell me what to write in the jar." Geez. Why are men so difficult to get to participate in stuff like this.
Things have been going well with the jars! The number of entries have slowed down a bit but overall I am pleased and excited at the outcome and cannot wait to read the entries on New Years!
We also decided to do the Money Jar! The idea behind this jar is you would put the same dollar amount in the jar for the number week it is for that year. So, if it is the 13th week you put in $13, if it is the 22 week you put $22. You do this every week for the year. At the end of the year you will have $1,378.00. You can find the plan here Money Jar.
The Money Jar has been going along well. We have been putting extra here and there in hope for a nice mini getaway for us next year. What has been interesting is the kids will put a dollar in once in a while too. The other day my oldest wanted to put $10 from her own money stash but I was able to talk her down to $5. I think it is great that they are participating and learning the lesson of saving. It definitely has become a family affair!
Its been a fun experience and I am excited to carry it on for future years. I am not sure how I will put it all together yet, but I am thinking of making a book with all the "Happy Moments" that are put in the jar. It is so nice that the kids are older and participating. I can't wait to read them all!




No comments:
Post a Comment