Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Natural Lotion Bars



Feeling rather crafty this holiday season and I LOVE IT!!!!

Today I made Natural Lotion Bars.  I decided to make them mostly to help my youngest with her skin issues. She gets really dry skin and LOVES to scratch the heck out of it leaving scabs. No Bueno!

 After much searching on the internet I found a wonderful recipe which I made today.   Thank you to Anne at http://raisingsweetgrace.blogspot.com/ for this wonderful recipe!
 
Here is the recipe:

½ cup Beeswax
½ cup Coconut Oil
½ cup Shea Butter or Cocoa Butter
Essential Oil (optional)
2 tsp. of Vitamin E Oil 

(I used Shea Butter for my recipe, it does not clog pores like cocoa butter does.)

 

Use a double boiler. You can see from the picture I took I use one for candle making. I think it was $14 at Hobby Lobby but with a coupon 40% off.

 DIRECTIONS:
Add the Beeswax and let it melt completely giving it a stir once in a while.  Then when it’s all melted add the Coconut oil, stirring periodically. Lastly, add the Shea Butter. Try not to leave that in the double boiler too long. Shea Butter has a tendency to become grainy when overheated.  Again, stir periodically then you can take off heat and add oils. I didn’t measure how much essential oil I used. I LOVE lavender so that is the oil I chose. Add what you like, just a few for a hint of the scent or lots for a strong scent. Typically with any homemade recipe calling for oils 15-30 drops are safe. Don’t forget to add the Vitamin E oil too. STIR really good make sure it is all mixed in.  If needed, let the double boiler sit in the hot water for a few seconds again.  Pour into molds!

THAT IS IT!

This recipe filled 7 muffin tins about 3/4 full.
 

You can buy all kinds of fancy molds for these bars in the soap department or even baking department.  I followed the recipe I found and used muffin liners.  The only thing I didn’t like about it is for the first few uses all the little groves from the liner break off the mold.  You can see that in my final product, all the ridges.

The lotion bars will melt if put in a warm spot so don’t leave them in cars or in the sun!


These bars are completely natural and so good for your skin.  Coconut oil is natural antiseptic, will not hurt raw or cracked skin it also encourages healthy cell regeneration over time.   Shea butter is great for healing dry skin, reducing wrinkles and scars and is a natural anti-inflammatory.  I used the Shea Butter versus Cocoa Butter because Shea will NOT clog your pores.  Beeswax locks in moisture and protects skin.  Beeswax is also a skin softener which makes these bars really good for those feet during winter!  Vitamin E is also good for scars, wrinkles and brown spots.

 So you see how can you go wrong with them? They will make great gifts for Christmas and literally took me 15 minutes to make.

UPDATE:   !!! Just realized this could double as chapstick!!!
 
I hope to have more of my crafty goodness up from the holidays.  Let me know how you like the lotion bars?  To me they resemble Burt’s Bees Hand Cream.  They smell really good too!


 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! It certainly wasn't as intimidating as I first thought! I have been using them on my lips and they have totally cured my chapped lips. Next time I make them I am going to put some in lip gloss jars.

    ReplyDelete