The last few nights my kids have decided to go on the hunt
for fireflies. Honestly, it was Cristina
more than Emily as she is “grown up” now.
Anyways, we gathered the necessary jars and lids and set out for the
backyard. Now, I was not expecting much
from this night but what I certainly DID NOT expect was to have a flurry of
childhood memories rush through me. I
know I can be an exaggerator HOWEVER, when the kids started the hunt we noticed
that our yard was taken over by fireflies. I mean there were hundreds and they
were beautiful! I have never seen so
many in my own backyard! For a split
second I really felt like I was in a fairy land of some sort! If I wasn’t so damn afraid of bugs these days,
(which by the way has gotten out of control), I would have plopped down in the
middle of the yard!
I tried to post a video but it wasn't that good. I will try again and see if it gets any better. It's just too dark.
It just brought back so many memories of being a kid and
being so care free. Oh, everything was so much simpler then! I wish I could grant my kids the same kind of
experiences and not fear for their lives. It makes me sad. Anyways, I digress, we would be out in the
neighborhood until like 9/10 at night and our moms would go out on the porch
and call for us and we’d come out of the woodworks.
All I can do is my best to allow my kids to experience the
same, within logical reason of course.
Firefly hunting is the bomb diggity! And when you set them free you feel like a God... Or maybe that's just me.
ReplyDeleteHugs!
Valerie
I use to love doing this when I was a kid. Then I had kids and we lived in the city so they never got a chance to. :(
ReplyDelete