I adored your post today about how you love your
kids but sometimes…. It reminded me of a very specific incident when my kids
were younger. At that time they were 4
and 2, they are now 12 and almost 10.
Here we go…
I had to be up and at work at the crack of dawn one day.
There was a board meeting downtown at 7:30 am and I lived 30 minutes from work,
the daycare was located in the same building. The meeting was an additional 30
minute drive. I had to be up and ready
and get the kids up and ready to leave the house by 6 am. YIKES!!! We were able
to do it and the kids survived being woke up early. After my day I go to get
the kids around 5, this was a freakin chore because they had to get suited up
for the winter weather and I could not do it fast enough.
We finally get to our town and I decided that it would be a
GREAT idea to go to the grocery store to pick up a few items. It is like almost
6pm and even though everything in my body was telling me NO, I still did
it. We get in the store and I get that
damn car cart that I HATE! It’s annoying and hard to steer and just a giant
pain in the ass. It was great for like
the first 30 sec. I kid you not, that
immediately after entering the store my oldest decided that she rather walk. I
let her and about 10 feet into the walk I accidentally bumped her with the cart
in the produce section.
You would have though I pulled her limbs off! She was in
hysterics and spread out arms and legs on the floor. I WAS SO EMBARRASSED!!! I
ask her to please get up after apologizing and she refuses. She continues to
pout on the floor and as I pass her I say, very calmly that the manager will
take her to the back room if she doesn’t get up. I continue to walk as if nothing
is happening and who shows up around the corner as if on cue… the manager.
She gets up and walks behind me head down kicking the ground
as she walks. On set…the whining….
MOMMMMMmmmmm I’m tired, I have to pee, I am hungry. I can take care of hungry I say, I pull a box
of teddy grahams off the shelve open them up and give to the kids. 1 minute later fighting begins, just as I am
going to separate the box of teddy grahams falls to the ground and I swear every
single damn graham fell out. REALLY!!!
CLEAN UP ON AISLE 3! I hear as I am getting my last items. Why did I think it was a good idea to go to the store after such an early morning, I will never know.
I see the checkout and just as I thought I was in the clear I was proofed otherwise. The girls begin to fight again and I take the 2nd box of teddy grahams away so I can pay for them they both begin to cry. My youngest is just tired beyond belief and my older one fit to be tied is hanging out of the side of the cart trying to get out while kicking her sister. It was AWEFUL!!! I was sweaty, and I’m sure redder than a crayon. I get up to the checkout to give the lady my “saver card” and say to her, “Well, if this isn’t birth control, I don’t know what is?” SLIENT TREATMENT! Seriously, that was HILARIOUS! I got nothing but a stare down. I am sure ALL the employees were talking about me. I WAS THAT parent that night. She gave me my receipt and said “I don’t think that is very funny.” I took my receipt and groceries and looked back at her and said, “Well, I think its Hilarious and you would too if you had kids.”
Seriously!
So here’s to you Angela!
One day you will look back on your moment and laugh! Thank god for
Vodka, right!
Funny but I just came from over at Time with A&N. My toddler has been screaming for almost 30 minutes now non stop with no end in sight all because her dad left without her. If only I could run away. :)
ReplyDeleteFunny how as a child you would not want to have quiet time and now as an adult it is all we crave! Good luck!!!
DeleteYvette,
ReplyDeleteThanks. I came home in a good mood and was falling into that end of the night grouchy mommy moodThat made me laugh and brighten my night. This will all one day just be a fleeting memory. Yes, quiet time as an adult is a must.
Thank you for sharing your story. I am sure you will look back and laugh at it one day.
ReplyDelete