Friday, May 31, 2013

What getting Laid off feels like...


Well, yesterday started as any day usually does for me. Wake up around 4pm. Eat dinner with the family and spend some time together. Then off to work at 9:30pm. I arrive to work get my things together and being to read my emails. Then all of the sudden the HR person enters our office and asks for me to go with her to the office.  I got that yucky feeling in your stomach, that feeling you get when you think you are going to be in trouble for something. I immediately begin to think of what I possibly could have done to get in trouble. HR is NEVER here this late, it must be bad!  Then I enter the office another lady is there and I immediately know what is about to happen.  They are letting me go.

The formalities begin with the discussion of how the company is doing and cuts they are making blah, Blah, BLAH!!!!! Shock has settled in. I have never been let go before, NEVER! I am a hard worker! I haven’t missed a day of work in a year.  I do my tasks and complete them on time.  Then I find out the WHOLE 3rd shift crew is being eliminated.  Like that is supposed to make me feel better. I don’t even hear the rest, I’m pissed.  My last day will be June 7th.  Oh and they won’t dispute unemployment. Um OKAY! Is this when I am supposed to say THANK YOU!  I grab my letter and leave.

I can’t even begin to explain the panic that rushed through me. My family, bills, the house, money, will we be okay. I felt helpless, hopeless, sad, Why that over the past several months has our family been hit punch after punch?  We are good people, I am a good person.  I always try to see the positive and good.  So, why when we take 5 steps forward do we get pushed 10 steps back. It was very disheartening.

One thing I know for sure that without my husband, I would have crumbled. His words of encouragement and his calmness just settle me.  He is my aloe vera to my sunburn, the peanut butter to my jelly, the rum in my coke. LOL! You get the point!

In the middle of this I come across this saying.  It goes,

Needless to say, I will NOT let this get me down. Yes, I am hurt but it doesn’t define me. It just happened. It is what it is. So here is to the future and whatever it may hold. I welcome it with open arms and I WILL continue to LIVE my life HAPPY!


3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear this news, but you have a terrific attitude! I am sure it will work out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry! I have been there and I know it is a really awful feeling. You are so luck to have support at home. You will get through this a stronger person, I can tell you that. :)

    ReplyDelete