I have since kept four of
the cleaners I initially made and ditched a few of the others. I kept the All Purpose Cleaner, Degreaser,
Window Cleaner and Carpet Deodorizer. And if you were wondering, YES I did end up
going into the bag of cleaners I was going to toss out! WHATEVER!!!
I can’t tell you how much
I LOVE these cleaners and how they smell.
Not like chemicals and fresh and clean.
Don’t get me wrong I still like to bleach my bathroom but for the rest
of the house I use the homemade cleaners.
I hope you enjoy the cleaners
as much as I do.
For supplies you will need:
- Spray bottles, I purchased mine at the Dollar Store and I would by a couple extra as they are cheaply made. You can also reuse bottles from old cleaners that may be sturdier.
- Essential Oils – bought at the Vitamin Shoppe or GNC any health store should have them.
- Baking soda, vinegar, borax, washing soda, rubbing alcohol, mild dish soap, castile soap & cornstarch – all found at Wal-Mart.
- I use more drops of Lavender and Lemon in the recipes. I just like it a little stronger smelling. J You can add more or less for your needs.
- Degreaser works really well. However, when it dries it leaves streaks. You have to use something with Vinegar to cut through it. I typically will degrease then after it dried use the window cleaner on my stovetop and anything else I will use all purpose cleaner after.
- Tea Tree oil is VERY STRONG smelling. I do use both drops in the all purpose cleaner. Once it is mixed in it is not as strong.
All
Purpose Cleaner
1 Tbsp.
Borax
2 Tbsp.
White vinegar (distilled)
½ tsp
Washing Soda
Hot
Water
A few
drops of a mild dish detergent (dawn, joy whatever you have works)
5 drops
of Lavender Essential Oil
5 drops
of Lemon Essential Oil
2 drops
of Tea Tree Oil
In a 16 oz. spray bottle
add vinegar, borax and half hot water.
Swish around until borax
has dissolved.
Add the drops of dish
detergent and
fill the rest of the
bottle with hot water.
Add essential oils and SHAKE!
Window Cleaner
¼ cup Rubbing alcohol
¼ cup Vinegar
1 Tsp. Cornstarch
2 cups Warm Water
In a 16 oz. spray bottle
add rubbing alcohol, vinegar
and cornstarch. Mix Well.
Then add the warm water.
YES, I AM SURE ABOUT THE
CORNSTARCH!!!! In all the research I have done this recipe works the ABSOLUTE
BEST!!!! It is streak free and makes my windows and especially the mirrors
shine and sparkle.
Just be sure to SHAKE the
bottle before using!
Kitchen Degreaser
2 cups Warm Water
¼ cup Castile Soap
10 drops Essential Oil
(Lemon)
In a 16 oz. spray bottle
add water, soap and Essential Oil.
Mix and done!
**Remember follow with either
window cleaner or all purpose cleaner to cut through streaks.**
Carpet Deodorizer
2 cups Baking soda
20 drops Essential Oil
Really there is nothing to
this one. I just mix and shake!
I use an old parmesan cheese
shaker for this.
Have fun and I’d love to hear if they work for you.
You might actually enjoy cleaning a little bit more!

Hi Yvette! I came here from MeloMomma's blog hop. Your blog is great! These are excellent tips. I'm following you on GFC and looking forward to reading more. Please stop by my blog if you get a chance. :)
ReplyDeleteJennifer
http://thistlebearhome.blogspot.com
Hi! I found you from MeloMomma's hop and appreciate the mix recipes. I use most of these things on a regular basis except bleach as required in regulations. I'm glad you made the point about cornstarch because "why?" did come to mind.
ReplyDeleteWell, while looking at all the various recipes online I can't remember if I read it somewhere. I had so many notes it was RIDICULOUS! I tried a couple other recipes and they all left some sort of streak. When I added the cornstartch it really made a big difference so I went with it!
DeleteOkay, I need to save this post because another friend asked about similar recipes. Before I get extra bottles, do you know if the specific oil makes a big difference? I have peppermint, clover, lavender, & rosemary right now. I was thinking about trying the degreaser.
DeleteThe reason why lavender and tea tree oils are used is because they have antibacterial qualities. If you were making something like a air freshner or carpet powder it would depend only on your preference. :) Peppermint has antibacterial properties as well as clover I believe. Here are a couple references: http://greencleaning.about.com/od/TipsandIdeas/tp/Top-5-Essential-Oils-To-Use-In-Your-Green-Cleaning.htm and http://voices.yahoo.com/common-essential-oils-their-cleaning-properties-3106223.html?cat=6
DeleteHope that helps!
Just visiting to say "thank you" for linking up on my Bloglovin Blog Hop! Now following via GFC and Bloglovin.
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Meg
Happy Kids, Inc
Thank you right back! I am enjoying them!
Delete